Saturday 18 September 2010

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Love in a Void

My last post got me digging around for more old Banshees stuff.  I was totally obsessed about them around '78-'79 but hadn't really listened to much of their stuff for years.  I found a couple of old pics, one a '77 promo pic and the other from a gig in Guildford in late '78 from the tour to promote 'The Scream'.  I had a tape of the gig and got the photo from the guy who recorded the gig.. no idea where the tape is, shame as it was good recording.  I also scanned an old Roxy poster from the 100 Nights at the Roxy book (back in '78 I tore the page out and stuck it on my wall!)

Here's an old ticket stub from the Banshees last gig as an unsigned band, at the Roundhouse in July '78.  One of the best gigs I've been to, the Banshees were amazing, opening with a storming version of Staircase, I think the first time they'd played it live.  Plus Spizz Oil were awesome in support..totally different from anything else I'd at the time.  Just Spizz and Pete Petrol with guitars and a kazoo..

And lastly, here's a great version of Love in a Void from the '78 bootleg LP which had the Peel Sessions plus 3 early demo recordings.  This is the demo version of Love in a Void.. possibly Pete Fenton on guitar?  It definitely sounds different from John McKay's playing.

1 comment: